Early Access to Samsung Pay with Select CIBC Credit Cards*
It Takes Just 3 Simple Steps to Use Samsung Pay
Tap & Pay
How to Get Samsung Pay
Galaxy S7 edge
Galaxy S6 edge+
Galaxy S6 edge
Follow These 3 Steps to Activate Samsung Pay:
Set up your applicable CIBC credit card and start using Samsung Pay today! Launch the Samsung Pay App and sign in with your Samsung Account.
*CIBC Corporate cards, US Dollar VISA, Prepaid VISA and Petro-Points MasterCard cards are not eligible.
What is Samsung Pay?
Samsung Pay is a convenient and simple way to make mobile payments with select Samsung Galaxy phones, and it works at virtually any retailer where you can tap, swipe or scan your card.2
How does Samsung Pay work?
Samsung Pay uses Near Field Communication (NFC) and proprietary Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) technology to make contactless mobile payments. MST and NFC enables Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 edge, S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+ and Note5 devices to make transactions with nearly every payment terminal in the world that uses NFC and MST technology.1
Which devices will support Samsung Pay?
Samsung Pay is currently available on the Samsung Galaxy A5, S7, S7 edge, S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+ and Note5 devices.1 Please ensure your device is running the latest available software.
What are the software requirements for Samsung Pay?
A Samsung account and an applicable credit card from a participating bank (see response to question below) that has been registered with the app are required to make a payment. The Galaxy Note5 and Galaxy S6 edge+ require the latest FOTA upgrade to use Samsung Pay. This can be verified by checking Settings > Download updates manually. The current version should end BPJ1.
Which banks and credit cards are compatible with Samsung Pay?
Samsung Pay currently works with all consumer CIBC Visa and MasterCard Credit Cards with the exception U.S. Dollar VISA, Prepaid VISA and Petro-Points MasterCard cards. Additional partners, eligible cards, and value added services will continue to be added in Canada.Register here to activate Samsung Pay now.
Can I use Samsung Pay in foreign countries?
Yes. If you can use your card in the country you are travelling to, you should be able to use Samsung Pay to make a payment.
How do I make a payment with Samsung Pay?
1. Swipe-up from the home button or open the Samsung Pay app from the home screen.
2. Select the card by swiping left or right.
3. Use your fingerprint or 4-digit PIN for authentication.
4. Touch your phone to the card reader.
Where can I use Samsung Pay?
Anywhere that CIBC Visa and Mastercard cards are accepted. Additional credit and debit cards will soon be added to Samsung Pay.
Can Samsung Pay make online or in-app purchases?
Not yet. Online and in-app purchases will be part of future releases of Samsung Pay.
How can I cancel a payment made using Samsung Pay?
Cancelling a payment made with Samsung Pay is the same as a physical card. The exact process will depend on the policies of your card issuer and the merchant you made the purchase from.
Can I use a case on my device and still use Samsung Pay?
Yes. If you are experiencing issues when making a payment with Samsung Pay, remove your case or cover from the device and try again.
Is Samsung Pay available to non-Samsung users?
No. Samsung Pay is available exclusively to users with a compatible Samsung device.1
Will I have to sign a receipt when paying with Samsung Pay?
You may need to sign a receipt (physical or electronic) as you do with payments made with a physical card. This can vary depending on the store/merchant and transaction amount. You will not receive a separate physical or digital receipt from Samsung Pay.
Will I continue to earn rewards and benefits from my payment cards when I pay using Samsung Pay?
Yes. When you make a payment with Samsung Pay, you will continue to receive the rewards and benefits (such as points or cash back) that your physical card provides.
I returned an item purchased with Samsung Pay, but I do not see the return/partial refund amount in the application.
Samsung Pay may not show your entire transaction history, depending on the policies set by your card issuer (bank). Refer to your payment card statement or transaction history on the card issuer's website or mobile application, if available.
Do I need a network connection when I add a payment card?
Yes. You can connect via a Wi-Fi network or using your mobile data connection. If an internet connection is not available, you will receive a "No network connection" message, prompting you to connect to a Wi-Fi network or turn on mobile data.
How do I protect my wallet?
In addition to standard measures such as not sharing your PIN, you can also register your device on "Find My Mobile", a free service used to remotely lock or erase Samsung Pay.
What should I do if I've lost the card that I've added in Samsung Pay?
Please contact the card issuer (bank) immediately. Samsung Pay will show your card to be invalid if you have suspended/frozen your card with the card issuer. Newly issued cards will need to be added in Samsung Pay. Further, for added security, the Samsung "Find My Mobile" service can remotely lock or delete your payment cards on Samsung Pay.
If Your Device is Lost or Stolen
If your device is ever lost or stolen, Samsung offers a free service to remotely lock or erase Samsung Pay. The service "Find My Mobile" also has the ability to locate your device and erase all your stored personal information, to lock Samsung Pay (remotely disable) or to wipe out Samsung Pay (remove all the payment cards registered on your device).
Can I continue to use my physical payment cards if I remove them in Samsung Pay?
Yes. Deleting a payment card from Samsung Pay will only remove the payment information, including the token (digital card number), from the device. Your physical card will remain active. If you want to cancel your card, please contact the card issuer (bank).
If I reset my device, what happens to my Samsung Pay service?
When performing a factory data reset, all payment information in Samsung Pay will be deleted. You will need to set up and add your payment card information into Samsung Pay again after your device has been reset.
Why is my transaction amount reported differently in Samsung Pay?
Card issuers and payment networks (i.e., Visa®) may only report the initial authorization amount to Samsung Pay. Refer to the card issuer's mobile application, website, or statements for final transaction details. Common locations where the transaction information may be different include restaurants, gas stations (pump stations), vending machines, hotels, and car rental companies.
How to Install Samsung Pay?
1. Register here to download Samsung Pay now for supported banks.
2. Follow instructions to install app on your device.
How do I add a card?
Cards can be added by either scanning your physical card with your phone or manually inputting the card information.
Step-by-step detail to add a card
1. From the Home screen, touch Apps.
2. Touch Samsung Pay.
3. Touch ADD or, if this is the first payment card being added, touch Add a credit card or debit card.
4. Align your card inside the frame to automatically detect the card number and expiration date.
Note: Touch Enter card manually if your device cannot detect the card information.
5. Please verify the information captured by the camera.
6. Enter the remaining information and touch NEXT.
7. Review the terms and conditions, and then touch AGREE TO ALL.
8. Select a method to authenticate your identity.
9. You may enter your signature like you would sign on the back of your card and touch SAVE.
10. Touch DONE to complete the process.
11. After your card is added to Samsung Pay, it will be verified by the card issuer(bank).
12. After the card is verified, it can be used immediately to make a purchase.
Step-by-step guide to set up Samsung Pay
1. From the Home screen, touch Apps.
2. Touch Samsung Pay.
3. The first time you open Samsung Pay, a short introduction video will play.
Note: Touch SKIP to bypass the introduction and continue the setup process.
4. Your Samsung account will be automatically linked to Samsung Pay. Touch START to continue.
Note: If you have yet to sign in to your Samsung account, touch SIGN IN and enter your email address and password information. If you do not have an account, you can create a Samsung account on your device.
5. Touch USE FINGERPRINT to assign your fingerprint as the verification method. If you have not registered your fingerprint on the device, you will be given the chance to add a fingerprint. It will walk you through adding a fingerprint for the first time.
Note: You can also assign a four-digit Samsung Pay PIN code instead of using your fingerprint. Touch Skip and use Samsung Pay PIN.
Here is how to set up the fingerprint
1. If you have a secure lock on your device other than a fingerprint, enter the password, PIN, or pattern.
2. Place your finger on the Home key, and then lift it off once you feel a vibration. Repeat until you have reached 100%. To ensure your whole fingerprint is recorded, move your finger slightly each time you touch the key, fully covering the key with your finger.
3. Scan the fingerprint you just registered for verification.
4. Create a Samsung Pay PIN for payment authentication and application protection.
5. Re-enter the PIN to confirm.
6. You are now ready to add your payment cards and use Samsung Pay.
How many cards can I register into Samsung Pay?
A total of 10 payment cards can be added.
Can I use the same payment card with more than one device using Samsung Pay?
Yes. There are no restrictions on adding the same credit card to multiple devices. For example, if you and your spouse share a credit card, you can add the card to both devices. The total number of devices you can add the same card to may vary by issuer and payment network.
How can I create my own Samsung Pay account?
When you open Samsung Pay for the first time, you will be required to sign in to a Samsung account. If you do not have an account, you will be given the option to create one at that point in time which will then enable you to begin using Samsung Pay.
How secure is Samsung Pay?
Samsung Pay uses leading edge tokenization and authentication methods to secure your information. Samsung Pay also uses biometrics as a security measure, enabling users to authenticate Samsung Pay via fingerprint or Secured PIN. In addition to the security measures implemented by Samsung Pay, Samsung’s KNOX service constantly monitors suspicious activity within the device to protect from any malicious attacks.
How do I use “Find My Mobile” to manage Samsung Pay?
If your device is lost or stolen, your payment information will not be accessible without your fingerprint or Samsung Pay PIN. For added security, the Samsung 'Find My Mobile' service can remotely lock or delete your payment cards on Samsung Pay.
Does Samsung Pay store my personal/payment information on a server or my device?
No. Samsung Pay does not store your personal/payment information.
If I were to switch to another Samsung phone, do I need to add the cards all over again?
Yes. You would need to register your cards again if you were to change your phone.
Does Samsung Pay have access to my bank accounts?
No. Samsung Pay does not have access to your bank accounts.
I can’t see the new membership features in my Samsung Pay app. How do I get this?
Check that your version of Samsung Pay is at least 2.6.
1. Open Samsung Pay App
2. Click "Settings"
3. Click "About Samsung Pay"
4. If your app is below version 2.6, click "Update"
5. If the version of your app is at least 2.6, you should be able to see the new membership features
How can I add an existing loyalty or membership card to Samsung Pay?
In the Samsung Pay app, select “Add”, “Load membership card”, then search for and select a merchant or loyalty program from the list. Follow the instructions to scan the barcode or manually enter the card number for that merchant.
What if I can't find a membership card I want in the catalog?
1. Select “Add” and then “Add a card not listed here”
2. Enter card info manually; take a picture of the front and/or back of the card and fill in relevant information
Or you can enter the membership or loyalty card number manually and Samsung Pay will generate a bar code for you.
Can I add a card without a barcode?
Yes. You may not be able to scan your loyalty or membership card at the point of sale but you can keep this card in Samsung Pay for more secure and convenient storage.
How many loyalty and membership cards can I add?
You can add as many loyalty and membership cards as you want; however, only a total of 12 cards (loyalty, membership, credit / debit cards) can be displayed by Samsung Pay when using ‘Favourite Cards’. You can manage ‘Favourite Cards’ in the settings of the app.
Which loyalty and membership cards can I add to Samsung Pay?
You should be able to add almost any loyalty or membership card to Samsung Pay by either selecting a program from the list or by manually adding the loyalty or membership card details.
How do I present my loyalty or membership card?
1. If you have made your loyalty card visible in “Favourite Cards”:
• Swipe up from the home button or across the screen until your membership card appears.
2. If your loyalty or membership card is not in your “Favourite Cards” list:
• Tap on the “Membership Cards” button in the Samsung Pay App home screen.
• Select the card you wish to use from the list and touch “Tap to use card”.
The bar code can be scanned by the retail associate at the point of sale or the number can be entered manually.
My Loyalty or Membership Card is not Scanning or there is an error message
In some cases, if you added the membership or loyalty card to the Samsung Pay App manually by typing in the digits that appear on the card, there may have been an error in the bar code generated by Samsung Pay for your specific membership or loyalty card. Try re-adding the loyalty or membership card by scanning or taking a photo of the bar code itself.
What happens to my loyalty and membership card after I decide not to use it?
If you no longer wish to use a loyalty or membership card, simply delete the card from the card details menu and it will no longer appear in Samsung Pay.