Samsung's S.T.A.R. Program is a free service brought to you by Samsung for our business and consumer printer customers willing to take responsibility in helping to keep the environment clean. This environmentally conscious program safely reprocesses empty cartridges into their major usable component materials (plastics and resins, metals, non-metal materials, packaging cardboard, and other miscellaneous materials) and then makes those recovered materials available to the raw materials marketplace for reuse in new manufacturing for a range of products.
If you're a consumer, you can rest assured knowing that you're helping to make a positive impact on the environment. Follow these simple instructions to return an individual cartridge.
If you're a business customer, Samsung offers several free recycling service options to help make your business eco-friendly. Order a S.T.A.R. Office Collection Box or S.T.A.R. Return Label Pack.
Here is the S.T.A.R. Program return and recycling process:
- Return and collection of empty cartridges
- Sorting and separating of materials, plastics and resins, metals, non-metal materials, packaging cardboard, and other miscellaneous materials
- Shredding and/or melting, granulating of recovered materials; quality checks of processed materials
- Reuse of recovered materials in the production of new products
The Samsung S.T.A.R. program's firm promise is that every returned empty cartridge is safely and responsibly recycled; unlike some printer manufacturers' return programs, they are never incinerated or sent to landfills. Any materials that cannot be recycled are treated and disposed of in a way that causes minimal environmental impact. This ensures that the maximum value from each returned cartridge is obtained at the smallest environmental cost. Samsung is also researching how to reuse the recycled materials in the production of new cartridges or other products.
Thank you for joining us in serving our community and our world.
Individual Cartridge Returns for Consumers and Businesses:
Returning an empty Samsung cartridge is easier than ever:
- Reuse the shipping box from your new Samsung toner cartridge to package your used/empty toner cartridge. Be sure to seal it securely with shipping tape.
- Enter your contact information in the address form on the right. This return address information is required by the U.S. Postal Service for all packages.
- Press the "Submit and Print Label" button below the contact form. The following will happen:
Print and attach the SmartLabel® to your package and drop off the return anywhere in the U.S. Postal Service mail system.
- Your PC screen will refresh and a new section will appear below "What's Next?" This section will include a link to a web page with your processed SmartLabel®, now ready to print.
- You will also receive an email at the address you listed in the contact form; the email will include the link to a web page with your processed SmartLabel®, now ready to print.
IMPORTANT: It is against USPS regulations to photocopy and reuse a SmartLabel. Please generate a new SmartLabel for each return shipment.
We encourage users to combine multiple empty cartridge returns in a single, larger box or to tape cartridges together as a unit using a single SmartLabel®. Sending multiple cartridges in one shipment saves energy and is good for the environment. Boxes must not exceed 30 lbs. in weight, and larger parcels that do not fit into a USPS Postal box may require drop-off at a Postal Service office.
IMPORTANT: It is against U.S. Postal Service regulations to photocopy and reuse a SmartLabel®. Please generate a new SmartLabel® for each return shipment.
- Hand the S.T.A.R. return package to any of the over 200,000 U.S. Postal Service letter carriers.
- Drop the package in any USPS mailbox (over 175,000 USPS mailboxes nationwide)
- Leave the package in your outgoing USPS mail at work or home
- Bring the package to any US Postal Service office (over 32,000 U. S. offices nationwide)
- There's no need to stand in line! No additional postage or insurance is needed — this shipment is pre-paid by Samsung.
Cartridge Return Services for Business Users
Samsung's S.T.A.R. program offers several convenient return service options for business and commercial users who wish to send back their empty cartridges.
For volume users, we offer our S.T.A.R. Office Collection Box program. This free service provides easy-to-use collection and return containers that make recycling quick and convenient. Users simply deposit empty cartridges in the Collection Box. These boxes include pre-addressed, pre-paid shipping from anywhere in the U.S. via the U.S. Postal Service.
Office Collection Box Program Highlights/Benefits
- Designed for medium-to-large-volume users of Samsung printers and supplies
- Simplifies recycling by eliminating the need to repackage and label individual cartridge returns
- Free to use the program, including collection boxes, processing, and shipping both ways
- S.T.A.R. Office Collection Boxes can be used anywhere in the U.S.
- Simple, pre-addressed return shipping
- Easy ordering by completing the form on the right, using our 24/7 toll-free 800 number or through email (see below)
- Saves energy and simplifies recycling processes
- S.T.A.R. Office Collection Boxes are offered as a free service to users of Samsung printers and genuine Samsung brand cartridges. Many business offices may also use other brands of printers and supplies in addition to owning and using Samsung printers and genuine Samsung brand cartridges. As a convenience to Samsung users, S.T.A.R. Office Collection Boxes may be used to return non-Samsung brand cartridges, however the following guidelines apply to such returns:
- S.T.A.R. Office Collection Boxes are specified for use by Samsung printer users. If your office or facility does not own or use Samsung printers, you may not order or use S.T.A.R. Office Collection Boxes to return non-Samsung brand supplies for recycling. S.T.A.R. Office Collection Boxes returned for recycling whose contents do not contain more than 50% Samsung brand cartridges will be returned to the shipper.
- S.T.A.R. Office Collection Boxes are not to be used by remanufacturers, cartridge refilling companies, and/or empty cartridge collection brokers/firms for returning unwanted empties. S.T.A.R. Office Collection Boxes returned by these entities will be returned to the shipper.
- S.T.A.R. Office Collection Boxes are not to be used to return compatible brand cartridges, or remanufactured Samsung brand cartridges. S.T.A.R. Office Collection Boxes returned with these empties will be returned to the shipper.
- Samsung Electronics America reserves the right to refuse orders for S.T.A.R. Office Collection Boxes or return labels from users that have not followed S.T.A.R. return system guidelines.
- S.T.A.R. Office Collection Boxes may be used to return used Samsung laser printer imaging units (not whole printers) or photoconductor drums for responsible recycling.
There are two Office Collection Box sizes available:
- The Large Office Collection Box can hold 10 to 15 or more cartridges. This box may be ordered singly or in a five-pack.
- The Small Office Collection Box can hold 4 to 8 or more cartridges. This box may be ordered in a two-pack or a five-pack.
When an Office Collection Box is full, simply seal the Box and return it with your outgoing U.S. Postal Service business mail or schedule a free, next-day pick-up by a mail delivery carrier using this link: Click Here to Connect to USPS Carrier Pickup.
Note: S.T.A.R. Office Collection Boxes are intended for the return of empty toner cartridges and their packaging materials, or used imaging units and drums. Please DO NOT place any other products or materials for recycling in a S.T.A.R. Office Collection Box.
Samsung also offers pre-addressed, pre-paid, self-adhesive S.T.A.R. USPS SmartLabels® in packs of 5 (# RLP-STAR-5) for users wishing to use their own boxes to return cartridges. If using your own box for returns, please note these USPS Shipment Restrictions:
- The box must not exceed 30 lbs. in total weight.
- The box must be securely sealed with shipping tape (not string).
- The box must be an intact and shipping-capable container.
Ways to order SmartLabel® packs or Office Collection Boxes
- Complete and submit the Order form on the right:
- Large Office Collection Boxes may be ordered individually or in a pack of 5
- Request Box # CB-GPTRB-S (1 box)
- Request Box # CB-GPTRB-S5 (5 box pack)
- Small Office Collection Boxes may be ordered as follows:
- Boxes are shipped as either a two (2) or five (5) pack; no single box orders
- Two pack - 2 S.T.A.R Small Office Collection Boxes (two boxes), # CB-GPTRB-SH2
- Five Pack - 5 S.T.A.R Small Office Collection Boxes (five box pack), # CB-GPTRB-SH5
- You can also order Office Collection Boxes 24/7 by calling toll-free: 1-866-332-4160. Select the "Ordering Collection Box" option.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and request a box using the order numbers shown above. Please include your contact name and company information, address, department/location, and a contact telephone number. Orders cannot be shipped without complete shipping information.
- IMPORTANT: Office Collection Boxes cannot be shipped to PO Boxes; we require a street address.
- My cartridge came with a FEDEX return label inside¦..what should I do?
- Note: Some older Samsung toner cartridges include pre-addressed FEDEX return labels. If your cartridge includes one of these labels, use it to return the empty cartridge using FEDEX; call FEDEX for a free commercial pickup at 1-888-777-6040 (toll-free). Have your label ready when you call.
- I am having problems printing a label from the website. Who should I contact?
- Some users have difficulty because of corporate security firewalls or a browser cache that needs refreshing. Simply use the "refresh" or "reload" function in your browser. Business users with an IT support department should contact them concerning this problem before contacting Samsung.
We also suggest you use a browser other than Internet Explorer Version 6 as users have frequently reported problems using that version of the Microsoft browser. Please upgrade your Internet Explorer browser to the current version.
Still unable to print a label? Email email@example.com with your name, company, address, department/location, and a contact telephone number, and describe the problem.
- I am not a business. How do I order an Office Collection Box?
- Any user that consumes larger volumes of Samsung cartridges can use this program by ordering a Collection Box using the instructions above.
- What if I have an Office Collection Box and decide not to use it?
- Use the prepaid/pre-addressed return label included with the box to return the empty box. It will be reused or the cardboard will be recycled.
- Can I photocopy and reuse a SmartLabel®?
- No. It is against U.S. Postal Service regulations to photocopy and reuse a SmartLabel®. Please generate a new SmartLabel® for each return shipment.
- I live outside the United States; can I use these S.T.A.R. services to recycle my cartridges?
- No. Please use this link to find the Samsung recycling services available in your country: http://www.samsung.com/printer/recycle/